i18n support as a requirement for user-visible applications in Ubuntu (was Re: Wubi status)

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 2 15:41:38 GMT 2009

Siegfried Gevatter (RainCT) [2009-03-02 15:49 +0100]:
> I'd rather make it a requirement for inclusion into main (although
> that'll only work until Archive Reorganization...), but only a
> recommendation ("should") for new packages.

It is already: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMainInclusionRequirements
point 5.

FWIW, I think asking upstream authors to i18n their software is a very
good idea, but I don't personally consider it a reason for rejecting a
package from universe.

Even for main we are generally concerned about real "desktop" strings;
error messages from subversion or gcc [1] don't really fall into that
category, and I'm not too concerned about those text-mode developer
tools.

Martin

[1] I know that gcc has translated error messages; some people even
regard that as a bug :)