Messaging Indicator (was: Notifications: uselessness of)

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 2 15:17:20 GMT 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 11:45 +0000, (``-_-´´) -- BUGabundo wrote:
> On Monday 02 March 2009 10:19:19 Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> > This will be handled by the new messaging menu.
>
> What *new* messaging menu?
> Are there new stuff coming up that _we_ dont know about?
> Can you please elaborate a bit more, so that we know what to expect?

Currently it's configured for the default install, but the upgrade
script has not be configured to put it in a current user's panel.  So if
you'd like to add it you need right click on your panel and add
"Indicator Applet".

You should have it installed, but if not, you should install the
indicator-messages package.

This is a small menu that shows IMs that have come but you haven't seen
and also mail messages.  You can open up a specific message by clicking
on it in the menu.  You can also hide/show the Pidgin buddy list by
using the menu item for it.

The only two applications having patches to use the messaging menu today
are Pidgin and Evolution.  Sadly it's progress has been hampered by
language bindings as I was hoping to have more for the Jaunty
release :-/

Project page is here:

   http://launchpad.net/indicator-applet/

There is some documentation in the packages now, working on more.
Questions/ideas/patches welcome :)

		--Ted