One Hundred Paper Cuts -- the first ten

Scott Rippon scott.rippon at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 08:32:52 BST 2009

Dear David and the Canonical UX & Design team

Have just been reading up on the Hundred Paper Cuts initiative
(https://edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts).  Sounds like a great
idea and a good way of getting a number these smaller UX bugs sorted
out.

I just had a couple quick questions to ask.
Sorry if they have already been written up somewhere that I just missed.

1.  When you say "we've identified the first ten of one hundred paper
cuts" was this the Canonical User Experience and Design team
(https://edge.launchpad.net/~canonical-ux)?

2.  How were the top 100 paper cuts selected?  How were they prioritized?

3.  How were the first 10 paper cuts selected?  How were they prioritized?

4.  Will these paper cuts help solve critical (or larger) usability
issues on Ubuntu?  Has there been some usability testing (
http://www.usability.gov/refine/learnusa.html |
http://deyalexander.com.au/resources/uxd/usability-testing.html ) done
which shows the relationship between the paper cuts and users being
able to complete tasks?

5.  Are there bigger usability issues with Ubuntu?  If so are they
also getting attention?

6.  As a UX practitioner what can I do to help?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Scott Rippon.