One Hundred Paper Cuts -- the first ten

David Siegel david.siegel at canonical.com
Thu Jun 18 22:23:02 BST 2009

We've identified the first ten of one hundred paper cuts* that we plan
to fix for Karmic:

Dim files when you 'cut' them for later 'paste' action
    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/194213

"Move to Trash" option misleading
    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/30739

Ambiguous wording in confirmation alert box
    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/349336

"Eject/Unmount" Human theme icon in Nautilus should have hover and click
states
    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/383255

should apply icons to xdg-user-dirs
    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/126103

update manager should warn about laptop running on battery when
installing big updates

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/377697

Consistent Volume "Safe to remove" notifications
    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/386057

Extra menu in Create document's menu
    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/387655

nautilus doesn't assign custom icon to "Downloads" folder
    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/388570

Wifi auto-connection asks for keyring password
    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/388593

The goal is to have all ten fixed by next Friday, at which point we will
announce 10% progress on the project and celebrate. If this week goes
well and we can get enough developers involved, we will continue at a
pace of ten paper cuts healed per week. With a pace like that, this
project is going to get a lot of attention and get everyone super
excited for Karmic.

If you are interested in getting involved with the project, there is no
better time to start. Pick one of these ten bugs and get busy: identify
affected projects, make contact upstream, look for patches floating
around, begin crafting a fix, or provide any other feedback. Also, if
any of these don't appear to be fixable by next Friday, please comment
that the bug may not be a paper cut. Some of them appear to be
nontrivial, but someone with more expertise might discover a trivial way
to make progress on the issue if not solve it completely. Canonical's
Design and User Experience team aims to get involved with these first
ten before early next week, but if a paper cut is not blocking on their
involvement (many are not) and you can make progress, by all means
please do so.

Thank you,
David

PS: For the curious, here are the potential remaining paper cuts:
 https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bugs?orderby=-importance&field.status%3Alist=CONFIRMED
Many people have already started working on confirmed paper cuts, and a
few fixes have already landed.

*Paper cuts are trivially fixable usability bugs that the average user
would encounter during his/her first day of using vanilla Ubuntu 9.10.