Foundations Team Weekly Activity Report, 2009-06-17
robbie at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 18 22:45:47 BST 2009
== Present ==
* RobbieWilliamson - chair
## list additional participants here
== Apologies ==
* JamesWestby - Attending the [[http://opensourcebridge.org/|Open Source Bridge
* MatthiasKlose - on Canonical OEM Team rotational assignment
## * FooBar - at a conference
== Agenda ==
* DMRaid update from mterry
* Status and Roadmap (*complete*, but NOT final)
* foundations-karmic-i586-support NEEDS an assignee
* Need to Milestone Features
* Ex: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+milestone/karmic-alpha-3
* Platform Team Sprint Update
* 8.04.3 LTS Update
* Sponsorship queue
* Good news
Boot Performance Sprint]] next week
== Outstanding actions from last meeting ==
## List outstanding items and an update on their progress if appropriate
== Actions from this meeting ==
* liw to enter the storm of dmraid and talk to TheMuso
* robbiew to add
to Karmic Roadmap
* Keybuk to draft KMS on the Console spec....based on mysterious irc discussion
## List new action items
## Now follows a section for each agenda item
## == Title ==
== Activity reports ==
=== Colin Watson ===
* libwibble #385317 (bounced).
* mutt #384499.
* ntfs-3g #349569 (semi-bounced).
* libunique #383718.
* mdbtools #383917.
* partman-ext2r0 #384796 (sync, universe).
* parrot #219276 (universe, I'm the Debian sponsor too).
* qcomicbook #384808 (sync, universe).
* viking #384380 (sync, universe).
* mpi-defaults #383665 (universe).
* netcfg (merge from Muharem).
* silo-installer (merge from Muharem).
* rootskel (merge from Muharem).
* rootskel-gtk (merge from Muharem).
* dpkg #332068 (rejected for sponsorship, Debian bug already filed and
it's better there anyway since it involves translatable strings).
* console-tools #49031 (universe).
* Fixed oem-config #163518 (.desktop files say OnlyShowIn=GNOME, should be
NotShowIn=KDE;) - on the sponsorship list although only due to a different task
on the same bug.
* Finished introducing variable-width menu columns to gfxboot-theme-ubuntu,
allowing me to fix #311699.
* Fixed gfxboot-theme-ubuntu #40144 (Norwegian languages sorted weirdly).
* Drafted specs: foundations-karmic-rsyslogd, foundations-karmic-grub2
* Reviewed/approved specs: foundations-karmic-usb-creator-for-windows,
* IS/platform review meeting.
* Fixed casper #386010 (unionfs-fuse killed too early on live CD shutdown).
* Hoovered up most of a casper patch series to fix snapshot resyncing, and
commented on the rest (#384059, #384061, #384066, #384068, #384076).
* Fixed grub-installer #385995 (sometimes tries to edit menu.lst even with GRUB 2).
* Merged: anna, base-installer, cdrom-checker, clock-setup,
debian-installer-utils, finish-install, grub-installer, installation-report,
lilo-installer, lowmem, main-menu, net-retriever, network-console, partman-auto,
partman-auto-crypto, partman-auto-lvm, partman-basicfilesystems, partman-crypto,
partman-ext3, partman-lvm, partman-partitioning, partman-target, preseed,
* Synced: cdebconf, mountmedia, partconf, partman-jfs, partman-md,
* Honour casper's live_media_path configuration in ubiquity.
* Added cdimage/livecd-rootfs support for variable casper initramfs compression
methods, in preparation for a kernel version that will support LZMA initramfs
decompression across the board.
* Proposed patch for util-linux #383697 (mount.preinst uses lsb-release while
* TB meeting (chaired).
=== Evan Dandrea ===
* Ubiquity bug triage.
* Helped rgreening get the KDE frontend merged into usb-creator.
* Helped cr3 with ubiquity automation questions.
* Specification writing. All specs approved, awaiting for responses from
others, or awaiting approval, with the exception of encrypted swap.
* Started work on a UDS writeup for Larry Poon.
* More work on migration-assistant base code.
=== Lars Wirzenius ===
* In preparation of making a video to allow comparison between gscan2pdf and
flegita, tested Istanbul and recordmydesktop. The latter actually works.
* Participated and monitored machine-readable debian/copyright discussions in
* Wrote my important specs.
* Verified that python-fstab is covered by the decision to not require
contributor agreements that was done for Computer Janitor.
* Upgraded main desktop to karmic. Broke gnome-display-properties and USB
auto-mounting, so far.
* Started travel arrangements for Debconf and karmic sprint.
* Filed a sync request for speedcrunch.
=== Matthias Klose ===
* Travel to Lexington (Mon)
* Work on an OEM project
* start working on bug reports
* look at apport backport for jaunty based projects.
* Various talks with OEM people about procedures/processes, while learning
* Some simple toolchain updates
=== Michael Vogt ===
==== software-properties ====
* add copy-n-paste for pub-key adding
* drag-n-drop for pub-key adding
==== packaging tools ====
* Add transition code to update-manager for broadcom users
* Unattended-upgrade maintainace/merges
* Add search progress and UI updates to synaptic (#24188) and upload new version
* Add ionice support to apt
==== AppCenter ====
* design call with mpt
* add prototype support for keyword search for gnome-app-install
* make g-a-i start faster
* make desktop data reading and cache opening threaded
==== misc ====
* spec work
* Smoke testing the desktop CD for alpha-2
* merge/test/upload apt
* Add code to python-apt to create required dirs on the fly if run with
* Review gconf patch for seb128
* Write debian-version compare script (lp:~mvo/+junk/compare-to-debian)
* Review language-selector diff (from lool)
* Write some simple profiling code for the apt install run (for the pre-unpack
==== sponsoring/merges ====
* Review/sposnor imagemagick, popcon
* Merge/upload newlib, bzip2
* Review/merge/sponsor app-install-data-partner for jaunty
* Review/merge/sponsor app-install-data-commercial intrepid upload
* Review/merge patch from robert for compiz
=== Mike Terry ===
==== Merges ====
* Merge freevo (385645)
* Merge galan (385662)
* Merge hdparm (311451)
* Merge libxml2 (386390)
* Merge xkeyboard-config (386445)
* Merge hunspell (387366)
* Sync gnome-backgrounds (385666)
==== GConf Error ====
* Fixed a gconf error when logging in (383461) that arose because we referenced
a gconf source location, but didn't make sure that it existed
==== Power Management ====
* Continued working on removing ac.d and battery.d (385949)
* Still need to get some feedback from upstream devicekit folks. Looks like
pm-powersave isn't being called by devicekit-power and they aren't planning to.
* May need to call pm-powersave another way (maybe call it if anything but kde4
* Started looking at keypress events we can drop
==== rsyslog ====
* Started working on replacing sysklogd with rsyslog
* An initial version of the upgrade path is working (copy syslog.conf over).
Need to make this use ucf
* Worked on derooting it. Started work on a -U flag to drop privileges, but
apparently upstream v4 has similar support built-in as a config flag. mbiebl
says v4 likely to hit in Karmic timeframe
* The above privilege-dropping doesn't help with klog, which needs root access.
Implemented a simple config value to look at a different path and running a
privileged dd instance that copies it over (as we do for sysklogd) to that path
=== Muharem Hrnjadovic ===
==== Administravia ====
* AllHands feed-back
* performance review preparation/call with Julian E.
* UDS survey
==== Package merges ====
* silo-installer (1.16)
* perl - 5.10.0-23ubuntu1
==== Sync requests ====
* requestsync libsepol karmic
* requestsync newt karmic
* requestsync newt pyopenssl
* requestsync ifplugd karmic
==== Launchpad ====
* finished testing LP API for package sets
=== Scott James Remnant ===
* Holiday on Friday
* Finally finished the Upstart D-Bus work, took even longer than I thought it
might in the end.
* Updated Upstart's Contributing Code guide
* Fixed some D-Bus bugs in the process.
* Finished up my patch to notify setsid() over the proc connector, sent to lkml
along with the 2.6.31 firehose
* Chatted with other folks about what to talk about at Plumbers this year,
submitted Upstart 1.0 talk and possibly doing a shared talk with Kyle at Fedora
about living in Arjan's shadow
* Put our C bootchart code into bzr for Michael Meeks at Novell
* More nagging Ted Tso about libuuid
* More VFS union-mount testing
=== Steve Langasek ===
==== Release management ====
* alpha-2 released
* release meeting
* continuing the 8.04.3 round-up
==== Sponsorship ====
* aptitude (bug #139661)
* perl merge
* audacious merge
==== Specs ====
* foundations-karmic-power-management drafted
==== Misc ====
* Monday archive duties
* NBS cleanups
More information about the ubuntu-devel