Good news, everyone! exim4->postfix dependency deltas can go away in karmic

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 3 17:35:18 BST 2009

Hi folks,

As you're merging packages for karmic, you may run across one of the many
packages in Ubuntu that carries a delta to pull in the postfix MTA instead
of exim4.  The good news is, there's now a way to send these changes
upstream to Debian, so that we don't have to carry this delta anymore!

Debian bug #508644, while not entirely closed out, has been addressed by the
maintainers of the exim4 package declaring exim4-daemon-light Provides:
default-mta.  I've just made a corresponding change to the exim4 and postfix
packages in Ubuntu, so karmic now has default-mta provided by postfix
instead of exim4.  This means it's possible for a package to declare a
Depends: default-mta | mail-transport-agent, and have the right thing happen
in both Debian and Ubuntu.

So as you run across such exim4->postfix deltas during the karmic merge
cycle, please switch them to default-mta instead and submit the changes to
Debian.