Stable GNOME updates, how could be do better?

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 29 11:15:48 BST 2009

Hi There,

The topic has already been discussed several times but I would like to
have us to think how we could do better with GNOME stable updates.
We usually ship with GNOME 2.2n.1 and do only specific targeted 2.2n.2
and 2.2n.3 updates in stable when the changes are minimal and fix a bug
which has been reported in launchpad and judged worth a sru.

The fact that we do ship stable updates is source of frustrations for
upstream, which do the work on getting those updated rolled and still
keep getting users reporting bugs, and for users.

The SRU policy is strict and doesn't allow to ship those updates easily,
does anybody has some ideas on how we could do better and make those
updates available to our users by some way? One way would be to have a
second source of updates which would not be "certified" in addition of
the -updates which follow the strict sru policy, this one would not be
enabled by default but easy to configure for users. Any other though?

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher