Group 'admin' gid problem

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Fri Jul 17 11:26:09 BST 2009

Edward Lee wrote:
> My issue with this is that the 'admin' group, which is used by sudo to
> control who can administer the system as root, is not one of those
> groups < 100.

But that's just a matter of configuration in the sudoers file. You could
reconfigure it to trust a fixed group of your choice as well / instead.

> BTW, why are there two 'administrator' groups -> 'adm' and 'admin'?

adm is not an administrator group per se - its purpose is to grant
read-only access to "administrative information" (i.e. /var/log/
logfiles) that otherwise only root has access to.

Max.