Using zsync for .deb downloads: initial benchmark results

Vishal Rao vishalrao at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 03:55:35 BST 2009

Speaking as a layman user:

Is it also possible to split the Packages.gz into multiple files to save
bandwidth/time during the "check for updates" process?

Meaning, if I have only package "abc" installed and there is an update to
package "xyz" in the repos, then my daily/weekly "check for updates"
procedure will download the entire Packages.gz only to end up telling me
"there are no updates at this time".

If you split Packages into, say, Packages-a, Packages-b.... and so on, the
chances (and time/cost) reduce of downloading these files only to find out
there are no further updates required...

Feasible (and for Karmic) ?

PS: Living in a bandwidth starved (slow and expensive) nation like India I
am 100% in favour of a delta scheme for package updates :) Like earlier
mentioned, with ongoing drops in CPU and disk cost-per-unit, I hope the
already-gracious mirrors won't mind the extra load...