700/703 MB CD size

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 26 11:22:40 GMT 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:33:11PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Here is the size limit and accompanying comments from the bin/publish-daily
> script.
>
>         # http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-ROM says
>         # 737280000; Media Motion say 736051200 for our
>         # pressed CDs, so we'll use the smaller value.
>         #SIZELIMIT=736051200
>         # ... except apparently some software/media has
>         # problems with anything over 700 (binary) MB. Argh.
>         SIZELIMIT="$((700 * 1024 * 1024))"
>         ;;
>
> This was added by Colin in revision 555.  Colin, do you remember what had
> problems with the larger value?

I'm having trouble tracking down the exact details, since I didn't
change the script immediately after the report. I found a comment from
me to mdz in #ubuntu-devel on 2006-08-02, saying:

  "apparently powerpc had problems burning for some people even in
  dapper; it was below what I understood the real size limit to be, but
  above 700MB, and I've had reports of some software/media (unsure
  which) not liking that"

I believe LaMont may have been one of those with problems?

Lathiat made a second-hand report of problems with that 702MB image in
#ubuntu-devel on 2006-06-06, with nautilus-cd-burner on breezy (though
it could easily be the drive firmware or the media at fault).

TBH, since problems like this have apparently entirely gone away with
the lower limit, I'm inclined to be extremely cautious.