missing /dev/console in debootstrap --foreign, a bug or not ?

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 20 15:12:45 GMT 2009

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 20.01.2009, 16:04 +0100 schrieb Loïc Minier:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > What we found during work on this script is that the first stage of
> > debootstrap --foreign does not create a /dev/console node, so qemu
> > panics during boot if you ise it with a bare kernel image (it might be
> > different if you use an initramfs that spawns udev though, which we
> > currently not do for bootstrapping)
>
>  What does exactly "panic"?  Can we fix some early userspace to not
>  require /dev/console until the regular boot (without initramfs) starts
>  udev which would create it?
the kernel wants it to write output to it ... the only area where i
could imagine such a creation would be upstart to create teh device if
it doesnt find it ... not sure thats feasable or even remotely sane

> > currently the script simply calls mknod to add the device file to the
> > image, but we were discussing the issue in the mobile team and came to
> > the conclusion that running debootstrap --foreign might indeed often be
> > used like that. to me it is not clear if debootstrap --foreign shouldnt
> > create /dev/console in any case.
>
>  I think it wouldn't hurt if debootstrap's second stage would create
>  /dev/console if it's required and missing, but I'm not sure whether we
>  can actually start debootstrap's second stage.
init dies (or teh kernel rather kills it) if it doesnt have the device
available (the panic is the good old: "attempting to kill init" with no
further info) so you wont even get to debootstrap's second stage ...

ciao
	oli