Launchpadlib support in Ubuntu Developer Tools

Jonathan Davies jpds at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 14 14:54:11 GMT 2009

* James Westby (jw+debian at jameswestby.net) wrote:
> > All one needs is a LP token authenticated and have it written to
> > ~/.lp_credentials.txt . I've written how one can go about doing this,
> > in the examples section of the manage-credentials manpage.
>
> Shouldn't ~/.cache/lp_credentials.txt be used to fit in with the
> freedesktop naming scheme? Isn't the name a bit generic? I have lp
> credentials for many different things.

So far the tool looks for:

  1) See if a $LPCREDENTIALS variable has been set and use that file,
  2) If there is a lp_credentials.txt file in the current directory,
  3) A default path (in this case ~/.cache/lp_credentials.txt).

For all the files it finds; it searches through them until it finds the
right consumer key for a token and uses that for authentication
(ubuntu-dev-tools for requestsync, for example).

As for the generic part, I was going along with the old ~/.lpcookie.txt.
However I agree that moving it to ~/.cache would be better.

> What happens if the user doesn't have credentials set up? Does the tool
> ask them to run manage-credentials?

I've improved the error message so that it asks people to see the
manage-credentials manpage.

> Also, has there been any thought to allowing different credentials for
> different tools? requestsync obviously needs write access, but not to
> private data, other tools won't need write access, and some may need
> access to private data.

I think that having just write access to public data would be enough for u-d-t.
However people can create new tokens with m-c if they need it.

> Should we allow splitting of credentials so that this can be controlled?

I could change it so that the consumer key specified in the options, is used
to save the tokens to ~/.cache/lp_credentials/$key.txt.

Jonathan
--
  Ubuntu - Linux for human beings | www.ubuntu.com