[ec2-beta] RFC: screenbin -- like pastebin, but for screen, using Ubuntu in Amazon EC2

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort pochu at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 13 23:39:31 GMT 2009

Hi,

Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> For example, changelog entries that might look like:
>  foo (1.0-0ubuntu1) *; urgency=low
>  bar (1.0-0ubuntu1) dapper,hardy,intrepid; urgency=low
>  baz (1.8) >dapper; urgency=low
>  blah (1.3) <=jaunty; urgency=low
[snip]
> Is this a violation of Debian policy?  I imagine that I have
> oversimplified the technical details ;-)  But there are enough smart
> people on these lists that I'm sure we can zero in on a viable
> solution.

From the Debian Policy Manual §5.6.14 [1]:
"In a .changes file or parsed changelog output this contains the
(space-separated) name(s) of the distribution(s) where this version of the
package should be installed. Valid distributions are determined by the archive
maintainers.[38]"

So you could implement the following, without violating the Debian Policy:
bar (1.0-0ubuntu1) dapper hardy intrepid; urgency=low

HTH,
Emilio

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Distribution