Edubuntu Meeting Minutes (2009-01-07)
laserjock at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 8 02:29:58 GMT 2009
Today we had another great Edubuntu team meeting. Here is a condensed
version of what we covered:
== Review of the Edubuntu Strategy ==
Much of the meeting was spent going over the Edubuntu Strategy
Document  and related issues including:
* Clarification of educational level categorizations by mapping
student age ranges with categories
- DISCUSSION: Grade level and educational categorizations
vary from country to country. Teachers and administrators need to know
what software, artwork, etc. apply to them and their students.
- ACTION: RichEd to send email seeking comment on age
ranges for preschool, primary, secondary, tertiary designations
- ACTION: RichEd will draft the South Africa and out the UK
mapping tonight and send to the others for input … LaserJock for US,
nubae for Austria, Spain, Germany
* Edubuntu's Launchpad team structure needs review and reworking.
- DISCUSSION: A development team is needed to provide for
things like bzr branches and PPAs. The creation of an
~edubuntu-contributors team was discussed as a less "harsh" term than
"-dev". There is also confusion as to what the difference between the
~edubuntu and ~edubuntu-members teams are for.
- ACTION: LaserJock to create edubuntu-dev Launchpad team
and arrange for ~edubuntu as an umbrella team to hold all official
Edubuntu Launchpad teams
* Clarification of Edubuntu's goals/branding/naming
- DISUCSSION: The debate about the use of "Edubuntu" and
"Ubuntu Education" continued. RichEd explained that Canonical would
like to use "Ubuntu Education" for the .iso and contents
(Canonical-supported applications) for purposes of marketing to OEMs
and leveraging of Ubuntu's brand strength. The community members
agreed with this. Further, the "Edubuntu" term will be used for the
project, community, and community-supported packaging.
- ACTION: LaserJock to draft "Edubuntu and Ubuntu
Education" clarification statement and run it by RichEd et. al
== Review of Jaunty specs and tasks ==
The Edubuntu RoadMap  was reviewed and several ideas for Jaunty
tasks were added. LaserJock encouraged everyone to think of bitesized,
feasible tasks for the Jaunty timeframe and add them to the RoadMap.
This will allow the team to track efforts and give a place for new
contributors to "plug in".
* ACTION: Everybody is going to help fill out the roadmap
== Set date/time for next meeting ==
Same time, same place, in two weeks. That is January 21st, 18:00 UTC
-Jordan (on behalf of the Edubuntu team)
More information about the ubuntu-devel