Developer Application Criteria - Was Re: New Application processes

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu Jan 8 01:46:23 GMT 2009

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 07:44:16PM -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 January 2009 19:24, Robert Collins wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 13:46 -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > > For improving the process just for the skill-level consideration, what
> > > would like to see is sort of a self-directed "exercise workbook", with
> > > sets of packaging, bug triage, testing, documentation, etc. tasks.
> > > For
> > > sponsorees with limited skill, this would provide guidance in gaining
> > > it.  For sponsorees already with more than adequate skill, this would
> > > help them calibrate their own expectations.  For sponsors, knowing
> > > that
> > > a candidate has gone through the workbook would help to answer that
> > > last
> > > bulletpoint, so they can focus on judging the others.
> >
> > I think this is a good idea.
>
> Here's a good list of questions for the workbook:
>
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/nm/trunk/nm-templates/?rev=0&sc=0

Wow, yes that's definitely a good list, exactly the type of questions
I'd think should go into such a workbook.  Some might be better done
as hands-on tasks than as essay questions, but that's pretty much what I
was thinking.

Even if we didn't put together a workbook ourselves, I think it would be
a great idea to reference these Debian pages from the MOTU/CoreDev
process docs.  Often half the work in climbing the packaging learning
curve is knowing what the questions are, and this gives that.

Thanks,
Bryce