Notifications: uselessness of

( ``-_-´´ ) -- BUGabundo ubuntu at bugabundo.net
Thu Feb 26 01:39:16 GMT 2009

Olá Lars e a todos.

On Wednesday 25 February 2009 17:14:30 Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> Notifications are always interruptions. When something new pops up on
> the screen, it interrupts my thought and my work, and if I'm "in the
> zone" (also known as "in hack mode"), that interruption may cost about
> fifteen minutes of effective work time.

May I suggest here something?
Setting /apps/metacity/window_keybindings/toggle_fullscreen to a nice key shortcut, I use many app in fullscreen mode.
I would love for indicator/notifications to NOT go above fullscreen apps (video playback anyone?). This at least would allow you to work with any kind of visual interruption, dont you agree?

Now that I test this a bit better, _some_ indicators should be above fullscreen apps (like volume, or battery, aka the high priority one, that use the other queue).

Never the less, can indicators and patched apps be set to obey some sort of Z value?

Since I'm at it. cant the IM queue be lowered to 100? 1000 is way too big. Some time pidgin/gwibber crashes and 15 mins latter I'm still getting notifications. Anything older then 1 min, should just be sent to /dev/null

--
Hi, I'm BUGabundo, and I am Ubuntu (whyubuntu.com)
(``-_-´´)	http://LinuxNoDEI.BUGabundo.net