update-manager behaviour [was: Auto-launching of applications]

Pablo Quirós mr.polmac at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 01:19:50 GMT 2009

>Proposal:

 >* Pop up update-manager automatically for security updates, and make
  it more obvious how to install them automatically.

> * Do not pop up u-m for non-security updates, and if possible, do not
  even show an indicator for it (a notification bubble would make me
  happy, though). Showing an indicator or not is certainly fodder for
  a long subjective bikeshedding discussion, I figure. :-)

>If I want to install bug fix updates, I can easily go to System ->
Admin -> Update Manager at a time which is convenient to me.

As a happy ubuntu user who is a bit concerned about this, I'd want to
share my thoughts on this matter.

First, I think opening a window automatically is *really* annoying,
and much more disturbing than the current bubble. The idea of the new
notification system is to avoid disturbing the user, and with that
decision things will get worse.

Most computer users don't care at all about updates. They just want a
system that works and stays out of their way. I am one of this users,
and I would happily accept security updates to be installed
automatically by default. If there is some action needed from me (eg:
restart firefox), I will do it, but I want to make actions *only* when
it is absolutely necessary, and it is not for installing updates.
Experienced users who are not happy with this can always change it to
only install updates when they decide to.

This would need a bit of extra work: maybe not installing them when a
laptop is running on batteries, or when the cpu usage is too high.

If automatic updates by default is unacceptable, I suggest the following:
I'd show a message to the users first time they see update-manager,
explaining them the purpose of the
program, and giving them a choice of what the default behavior should
be, for example:

-Pop up the program every time there are security updates
-Install them automatically
-Show an icon indicator when there are updates

There should be a suggested option for the users who don't know what
is best for them.

Inside update-manager, there should be an easy and clear way to change
the chosen behavior in the future.

That way, anyone can choose what is best for them, and the program is
introduced to the users first time they see it, so that they know it's
purpose and why "it appeared magically".

Regards,

Pablo