Auto-launching of applications

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 15:20:50 GMT 2009

On Monday 23 February 2009 7:02:17 am Ante Karamatic wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:32:27 +0100
> Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> > they will surely notice there is movement in the notification area if
> > the icon appears (or at least notice there is an icon they dont know
> > if they were afk while it appeared) its a one time thing to find out
> > what it is/does, the second time they will know it.
>
> While I'm not a fan of auto launched applications, I can confirm that
> users[1] don't notice or/and don't update their systems. They don't see
> that icon as something important and never click on it. They've used to
> having lots of icons in Windows' tray and they just ignore them. In my
> observations, users just don't care about updates. They would be
> happiest if updates wouldn't exist at all. Second best thing to that is
> not presenting updates.

That's exactly right.  I explicitly explained Dapper's update icon to my mom
and siblings.  I showed them how to get updates.  I told them they had to do
it. I even tried pointing out that it won't likely force them to reboot the
way Windows always tried to.  They don't care.

Having a window pop up won't make them install the updates.  It'll just 1)
make them annoyed that the darn thing keeps asking them things they don't care
about 2) scare my mom into thinking that maybe she got a rare Linux virus
because the computer's doing even more things on its own than it usually does.

We can't really discount the type of user that sees something happen on its
own, thinks "VIRUS!" and hits the power button (or pulls the plug) without
even a proper shutdown...which is the type I'm used to living with.

(cron's been installing her updates since Edgy or Feisty)

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo