Per-package uploaders: consequences for team structure

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 19 18:21:25 GMT 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 04:10:42PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> == Policy for per-package upload permissions ==
>
> Emmet Hikory sent a proposal to the Technical Board mailing list, which
> was discussed and largely agreed with a few generalisations (remove
> language making it specific to small sets of packages and small numbers
> of developers, and remove text about the lack of an existing maintenance
> team). The Board will deal with final polishing and ratify the proposal
> out of band.

This proposal is likely to be ratified:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopers/PerPackageUploaders

One thing it calls for is for these per-package uploaders to be members
of the Ubuntu development team for the purposes of voting in such things
as Technical Board elections, although not for the purposes of component
upload privileges. This is slightly problematic right now as polls are
attached to a single team, that being ~ubuntu-dev in this case.

Here's the proposal I sent to the technical-board list earlier today. I
think it's technically sound; unless there are any objections, I plan to
implement this at the start of next week, so please do speak up if you
think there's a problem.

Ideally, I would like to be able to add per-package uploaders to the
ubuntu-dev team. However, this would entail some structural adjustment.
We currently have:

  individuals --> ubuntu-core-dev (main/restricted upload)
                        \
                         --> ubuntu-dev (universe/multiverse upload, polls)
                        /
  individuals --> motu

If we instead had:

  individuals --> ubuntu-core-dev (main/restricted upload)
                   |                   \
                   |    individuals ------> ubuntu-dev (polls)
                   v                   /
  individuals --> motu (universe/multiverse upload)

... then it seems to me that it would work better. In other words, make
ubuntu-core-dev a member of motu, reassign component upload permissions
for universe and multiverse from ubuntu-dev to motu, and begin adding
per-package uploaders (starting with Stefan) to ubuntu-dev. Would anyone
object to these changes?