Auto-launching of applications

Bruce Cowan lists at bcowan.fastmail.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 23:37:55 GMT 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 15:23 -0700, Francis Earl wrote:
> > Can anyone explain to me why autolaunching programs is a good idea?
>

> I would imagine this has a lot to do with the target audience of Ubuntu.
> Users tend to do silly things by accident, and updates are very
> important, so closing the update applet would be ill advised - they need
> security updates and the like and are unlikely in many cases to actually
> check for them by hand.

It is not the applet I am talking about. The update manager window is
now shown every 2 days (however, it's supposed to appear in the
background).

My argument is that it could be potentially confusing, and people might
wonder why a window has appeared seemingly at random. Perhaps they may
think their system has been compromised.
--
Bruce Cowan <http://launchpad.net/~bruce89>