Kernel Compiler missmatches

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 17 14:09:36 GMT 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 03:43:35PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Andy Whitcroft schrieb:
> > There seem to be several simple options here:
> >
> > 1) expect the users to build their own kernels if they want to use
> >    external modules, or
> > 2) update gcc in -security, and always do so, or
> > 3) have separate kernel builds for each pocket (rather than pocket copying
> >    the -security update into -updates, upload it there separatly with a
> >    higher upload number).
> >
> > I guess the security team is best placed to evaluate the safety or
> > otherwise of (2).
>
> 4) Re-upload gcc-4.2 with the compiler version set back from 4.2.4
>    to 4.2.3, no other changes.

Given that 4.2.4 has been in -updates for some time, I'm concerned that
this would create another incompatibility and further confusion.
Presumably kernel build scripts will be no happier with a kernel
compiled with 4.2.4 and modules compiled with 4.2.3 than vice versa.

We should certainly take care to avoid this problem in future, but for
now perhaps it is simpler to push 4.2.4 into -security. However, I'd
like to have the security team's signoff for that.