[RFC] apturl repository whitelist application process

Siegfried Gevatter (RainCT) rainct at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 13 15:38:57 GMT 2009

2009/2/12 Alexander Sack <asac at ubuntu.com>:
>  * File system layout of the package should be to install to /opt -
>  unless there is a good reason for individual files to be shipped
>  elsewhere.

What's the reason for this? Perhaps I'm missing something, but I'm
unhappy with having packages messing with my /opt directory; afaik it
has traditionally been a directory for the system owner to place there
what he wants and I don't understand why we want packages to do
anything there now. Further, it may also confuse users who will look
for files in their proper place, and it is inconsistent with all other
packages (including PPAs, etc.) which install files directly into /.

Ubuntu Developer. Debian Contributor.