Needs Packaging bug reports

Siegfried Gevatter (RainCT) rainct at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 12 15:37:46 GMT 2009

Only speaking about the Launchpad bugs (I still have to familiarize
myself with the complete spec, and personally I'm not really happy
with having the needs-packaging bugs on Launchpad like now, but I'll
focus about the announcement made at the start of this thread now),
perhaps I'm missing something but I think there isn't anything
changing from how it has always been.

Bugs directly filed against the Ubuntu project, with the
"needs-packaging tag", importance "wishlist", usually containing
"[needs-packaging]" in the subject and, once someone has checked that
the request is valid, importance set to "confirmed" or "triaged". This
is how it's been since I've got involved with Ubuntu.

The script which Brian proposes to run is just going to help with this
(actually, some months ago I used to run two scripts myself for some
time -after asking on #ubuntu-bugs , where I only got positive
answers-, one which added the needs-packaging tag to those bugs whose
summary started with "[needs-packaging]" but didn't have it, and
another one which set needs-packaging bugs with no importance set to
"wishlist", after I got tired of doing that myself on dozens of bugs,
so Brian's idea is nothing new).

So, is the current/proposed way to handle needs-packaging bugs
perfect? Of course not, and we should probably look on how to improve
it, but I don't see how that's a reason to not make the current job
for triagers more easy until we come up with an improved workflow.

Ubuntu Developer. Debian Contributor.