ctrl-alt-backspace aka don't zap via GUI, was: ...

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 16:48:41 GMT 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:23 AM, Jerone Young
<jerone.young at canonical.com> wrote:
> We are entering a time where X windows has majorly matured. We should
> have a way to enable the feature (as there are people still wanting it),
> but by default this really isn't needed anymore.

I am still seeing regular crashes with fglrx when under heavy 3D load.

> If anything key combination should bring up a menu (as it does for the M
> $ OS).

Is this feasible? I would have thought that if we can display a menu
we wouldn't need a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

Another option would be to have a count down timer; giving the user
several seconds to cancel the zap. If the X server is working then the
user can see the timer and cancel the zap. If the X server isn't
working then a zap may be a good idea regardless of whether it was
accidental. Hopefully we'd be able to choose the length of the delay
such that we can satisfy everyone's needs.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student