TurnKey Linux's take on Ubuntu appliance development: KISS

Liraz Siri liraz at turnkeylinux.org
Wed Dec 23 10:42:35 GMT 2009

Scott Kitterman wrote:

> The bit of Debian policy that keeps getting quoted about packages not
> modifying conffiles of other packages is incomplete.  It goes on to say ...
> except through defined interfaces.  There is nothing in Debian Policy that
> prevents packages from being used for integration work.  It insists on
> properly engineered work.

I'm all for seeing more properly engineered configuration infrastructure
in Debian and Ubuntu. When it becomes available we'll be the first to
use it.

> Since all policy requires is a defined interface, I feel those who say they
> are unduly constrained by policy are promoting the idea  that independent
> software components can be integrated without defined interfaces and the
> software engineer in me shudders.

There is always room for improvement but keep in mind that since a
universal configuration interface does not yet exist, all Debian based
servers are currently being integrated by hand at an inconsistent level
of quality and with no reproducibility or peer review.

Unless you are using an appliance.

Remember that you don't have to be perfect to be useful, just better
than the alternative.

Cheers,
Liraz Siri
Cell: +972-54-2013512