Introduction to Ubuntu Distributed Development

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at ubuntu.com
Sat Dec 19 09:08:24 GMT 2009

On Friday 18,December,2009 12:40 AM, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 10:55 -0500, Adrian Perez wrote:
>
>> I think Git is better suited than Bzr for the job, and I don't make to
>> make it personal.
>>
> If you think Git is better suited, please demonstrate it by building up
> an equivalent infrastructure that has been built up around bzr, so fair
> side-by-side comparisons can be performed.
>
>> It's true that there's an infrastructure set up, but I think the idea of
>> voting is letting the community decide for itself, and don't impose us a
>> tool which might not be the preferred choice for most of our developers.
>>
> Right now, that vote would be:
>
>  ( ) continue using the existing apt-get source infrastructure, and
>      contribute by sending debdiffs around; merge from Debian by hand,
>      etc.
>  ( ) use the new bzr infrastructure, contribute directly to revision
>      control branches, merge using native merge support
>
> Because there is no Git or Mercurial infrastructure.
I might be getting the definition of "merge by hand" wrong, but I believe nobody
actually does a merge by hand anymore, since there's M-o-M for everything that
isn't already tracked in git, bzr, or mercurial. That said, I like my debdiffs
very much, as it's VCS-agnostic and not everyone uses or prefers to use the same
(D)VCS anyway. Rather than antagonizing everyone who does not or at least
prefers not to use bzr (including myself) even further than is already done,
what I would like to see is us going to a more VCS-agnostic approach, e.g.
launchpad spawning support for git and such.

I, for one, don't like bzr, especially after the numerous different and
*incompatible* repository formats that broke pretty much all my branches in some
way or other at least once in all their lifetimes. Thank you, bzr. It was fun
throwing away my branches' histories since they were useless being unable to be
merged for reason or other at that time.

P.S. before asking everyone to implement their own frameworks, please consider
that not everyone has the time or knowledge to do so.

--
Kind regards,
Chow Loong Jin (GPG: 0x8F02A411)