Current 10.04 Feature Development Status

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Mon Dec 14 23:57:01 GMT 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 03:12:04PM +0100, Mirco Müller wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 11.12.2009, 12:34 +0100 schrieb Martin Pitt:
>
> > Mirco Müller [2009-12-11  9:44 +0100]:
> > > What tool is creating those charts?
> >
> > It's the "burndown-chart.py" portion of the tracker. Please see
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WorkItemsHowto for details, bzr branch, etc.
> >
> > > 	I'm asking because in the times of SVG and good SVG-support in common
> > > browsers, there's no excuse to have all those aliasing artefacts in the
> > > chart-graphic. It really hurts the eye, especially the fonts.
> >
> > Heh. Patches appreciated. ;-)
>
> Sort of expected an answer of that sort :)
>
> 	I'll take a look at his burndown-chart.py later today (or on the
> weekend.
>
> /me is looking for his Python-appreciation pills

Btw, for something similar using gnuplot, I had decent results from
doing svg->png conversion using inkscape (see `man inkscape` for example
of using it to do this from the console).  I think I had to run the svg
through a tool to flatten the namespace or use sed or something, before
putting it through inkscape.  text file formats ftw.

imagemagick also has svg->png conversion tools, and there are a few
other random converters like rsvg, cairo's svg2png, etc. which work at
various levels of functionality (i.e. may take some experimentation to
find one that works good enough.)

Alternatively, a different way to work around svg-in-html limitation
would be to generate the whole page as SVG instead of HTML.  Probably
would be more total effort, but sure would be purty.  ;-)

Bryce