Foundations Team Weekly Summary, 2009-12-02

Robbie Williamson robbie at ubuntu.com
Sat Dec 5 07:07:19 GMT 2009

For minutes of previous meetings, please see:
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam.

== Present ==

 * ColinWatson - chair
 * EvanDandrea
 * GaryLasker
 * JamesWestby
 * LoïcMinier
 * MatthiasKlose
 * MichaelVogt
 * SteveLangasek

== Apologies ==

 * RobbieWilliamson - schedule conflict
 * ScottJamesRemnant - ill

== Agenda ==

 * Feature approval deadline
 * Welcome Gary Lasker to the Foundations team for this cycle, rotating from Canonical OEM Services
 * AOB

== Actions from this meeting ==

 * Colin to see if -Wa,-mimplicit-it=thumb fixes qt4-x11 problems on armel, and if not punt to mobile team / #ubuntu-arm

== Feature approval deadline ==

 * Outstanding drafts / work items (all present promised to get these done):
  * foundations-lucid-daily-builds (James)
  * foundations-lucid-distributed-development (James)
  * foundations-lucid-fix-iscsi-root (Colin)
  * foundations-lucid-multiarch-support (Steve)
  * foundations-lucid-puppet-installer (Mathiaz, server team)
  * foundations-lucid-ratings-and-reviews-in-software-center (Michael)
  * foundations-lucid-robust-python-packaging (Michael)
  * foundations-lucid-upstart-policy (Scott)
  * foundations-lucid-upstart-server-review (Scott)
  * foundations-lucid-user-contributed-metadata-for-software-center (Michael)
 * Michael says that MPT wants to have a software-center-ui-changes specification; this needs to be ready by tomorrow (and we will need help from other teams to get it done)

== AOB ==

 * qt4-x11 fails to build on armel and blocks the rest of KDE (ScottK); -Wa,-mimplicit-it=thumb may help, Colin will test

== Activity reports ==

=== Colin Watson ===
Short week (post-UDS holiday).

 * Wrote up performance review.

 * Drafted specs: foundations-lucid-uec-installer-enhancement,
   foundations-lucid-ubiquity-partitioner-optimisation,
   foundations-lucid-btrfs-support, foundations-lucid-oem-dvd-iso,
   foundations-lucid-gfxboot-update,
   foundations-lucid-reliable-device-id-in-grub

 * Initial work on foundations-lucid-gfxboot-update.

 * Initial work on foundations-lucid-uec-installer-enhancement.

 * Merged lp:~cjwatson/eucalyptus/question-ordering.

 * Fixed eucalyptus #458904 (when installing a node, euca_find_cluster
   fails to locate the cluster controller if instances are running) the
   new and preferred way.

 * Dealt with most of the emacs22 -> emacs23 transition.

=== Evan Dandrea ===
 * On Holiday

=== James Westby ===
 * On Holiday

=== Loïc Minier ===
== Misc ==

 * Not much done this week; was a bit sick and jetlagged after UDS and
   was on leave for 2 days (Thursday and Friday)

=== Matthias Klose ===
 * On Holiday

=== Michael Vogt ===
==== update-manager ====
 * trying to reproduce irritating battery dialog in auto-launch mode
   (no success)
 * add inline restart required dialog

==== software-center ====
 * spec update
 * sub-categories discussion with mpt
 * phonecall with mpt
 * Software-center: review and471 branch
 * Software-center: spec importance ordering

==== specs ====
 * Foundations-lucid-restart-required-dialog:
   * initial work
   * plus mail design team for input
 * Foundations-lucid-supported-timeframe-information:
   - work on script suitable for cron.germinate
   - push lp:~mvo/ubuntu-maintenance-check/python-port
 * Adding work items to specs
 * Spec writing (lots)

==== Foundations-lucid-better-archive-crawler ====
 * write spec
 * added action items
 * start on implementation at lp:~mvo/+junk/lp-changelogs-crawler
 * add workaround for the getPublishedSources() limitations (#487522)
 * work with gary/leonadrdr on debugging #487522

==== apt ====
 * discussion with julianK on moving to cmake
 * work with donkult on some apt pinning semantics

==== merges ====
 * Merge pbuilder, libpciaccess (sync), tuxtype (sync),
   notification-daemon

==== sponsoring ====
 * Merge/review/upload compiz-nowrapper branch
 * Review/sponsor app-install-data-parner for karmic (brian)

==== misc ====
 * Update-notifier: upload new version, remove auto-open of reboot
   required dialog
 * Review update-notifier patch from pitti
 * Compiz: review no_wrapper branch and send comment to amaranth
 * admin stuff (expenses, holiday etc)
 * App-install-data-partner: merge from brian, fix some issues, branch
   karmic, update lucid branch
 * Work on computer-janitor, fix some bugs, upload new version
 * Mail IS ticket about changelogs.ubuntu.com
 * Write gconf python tool that can diff user settings vs schema
   defaults (for compiz)
 * Compiz: look at session registration problem (with amaranth)

=== Scott James Remnant ===
 * Caught up on expenses

 * Boot Performance:
   * Set up the two Dell Mini 10v netbooks at home to do daily
     bootcharts and installer testing
   * Updated BIOS of both and got Wake-On-LAN working to make the
     process completely automated
   * Wrote server-side bits to download CD images, update TFTP and NFS
     roots, and wake up the computers in turn to do test installs
   * Wrote server-side bits to collect bootcharts and installer logs,
     make some HTML out of them and boot time progress graphs, and
     publish on rookery

 * libnih:
   * Since this is now in use by multiple pieces of software, finally
     took the step of declaring the current API as a stable one and
     turned it into a separate package of its own that things
     dynamically link to rather than including in their own source trees
   * Allocator alignment fix for SPARC
   * Updated the suppressions files to work with the latest valgrind,
     and fixed a few test case leaks in the process
   * Uploaded to lucid and cowboyed through NEW and into main ;-)
     (the code already entirely exists in main three times <g>)

 * ureadahead:
   * Ported to external libnih
   * Updated packaging to dh 7 now I've learned that
   * Fixed apport hook installation
   * Uploaded to lucid and cowboyed through NEW and into main ;-)
     (it's already in karmic-updates after all <g>)
   * Committed change to the platform seed
     (requires meta update and upload, didn't do one as there hasn't
      been one for lucid yet)
   * Removed old sreadahead source from the archive

   Once the new meta package has been uploaded, I can drop the
   transitional binary package for sreadahead

 * mountall:
   * Ported to external libnih
   * Updated packaging to dh 7 now I've learned that
   * Uploaded to lucid (this includes rcS fix that I should prepare a
     karmic-proposed upload for)

 * gdm:
   * Been tracking a failure to start gdm, especially on HDD machines,
     which I think is caused by races with udev device creation - a more
     precise "start on" line seems to fix it for me.  Will analyse gdm
     and Xorg to make sure I've got it right and upload
     (may be worthy of karmic-proposed upload too)

 * bootchart:
   * Removed bootchart-java from the archive.  It doesn't work in lucid
     anyway, and the whole world is moving to prefer the Python one
   * Updated the python bootchart (pybootchartgui) to SVN trunk, fixes a
     lot of bugs
   * Updated bootchart packaging to only recommend pybootchartgui, and
     to Breaks bootchart-java
   * Implemented cropping and annotation in pybootchartgui
     (this gets used by the daily bootcharts stuff)
   * Updated bootchart package to automatically crop Ubuntu bootcharts
     to avoid the "extra 45s" complaint
   * Uploaded updated packages to lucid

   There's an effort upstream to merge an improved version of our
   C-based collector with the Python chart generation into a single
   "bootchart" package: http://github.com/mmeeks/bootchart

   We'll likely adopt this at some point, once I've had a chance to play
   with the taskstats-based collector and see if it works.

=== Steve Langasek ===
one week UDS; one week vacation

==== Release management ====
 * continue with lucid archive opening: merges/updates of bsdmainutils,
lintian, emacs-goodies-el, devscripts, cdrom-detect, choose-mirror,
iso-scan, debian-installer-utils, netcfg
 * SRU processing

==== Packages ====
 * merges/syncs for lucid: jquery, bsd-mailx, cln, db4.6, egenix-mx-base
 * fix hdparm to not call hdparm -f for every drive at boot time, slowing
down boot for no reason

Robbie Williamson                                     robbie at cubuntu.com
Ubuntu                                         robbiew[irc.freenode.net]

"You can't be lucky all the time, but you can be smart everyday"
 -Mos Def

"Arrogance is thinking you are better than everyone else, while
Confidence is knowing no one else is better than you." -Me ;)