RFC: -server packages universe demotions and main promotions

Reinhard Tartler siretart at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 4 19:54:47 GMT 2009

Mathias Gug <mathiaz at ubuntu.com> writes:

> The Ubuntu Server team would like to get your feedback on whether the packages
> listed below should be demoted to universe or promoted to main.
>
> [...]
>
> == Proposed universe demotion ==
>
>  # nis

Especially in university environments, nis is still really used a lot.
At least at the place I work, all our student and employee user
databases handled for unix systems are maintained in nis.  True, ldap is
superiour in many ways, but unless there is a compelling reason for
demoting it, I'd rather have it in main.

>  # radvd

isn't this necessary for ipv6 routers? is ubuntu going to be unfriendly
with ipv6?

>  # racoon
>  # ipsec-tools

No ipsec support in main at all? Also mandatory for ipv6 AFAIUI.

>  # siege
>  # minicom:
>     - cu is tiny and trivial to support, but doesn't support error correction

doesn't screen(1) handle this sufficiently?

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4