My Ubuntu 9.04 experience

Steve Summers stevedsummers at email.com
Mon Aug 10 01:14:47 BST 2009

My Ubuntu 9.04 experience: (8/9/09)

1) Brown is ugly.
2) Install took a long time.
3) Screen darkened (slept) during install, stupid.
4) Green line on right side of boot-up splash screen, looks bad.
5) Way too many updates after install.
6) Which should I install first, the updates, or the proprietary driver?
7) After updates, the reminder for the proprietary driver didn't come
back.
8) Too many boot options.
9) During installation of proprietary driver, progress bar stayed at 0%
for a long time.  When I clicked the progress bar, it shot up to 86%
immediately.  Obviously a glitch.
10) After re-boot, ('restart now' option should be in the driver update
dialog box, but isn't,) got 'out of scan range' on my monitor.

I'm thinking: Linux sucks.

Kubuntu is buggy as hell.
PCLinuxOS has no 64-bit version.
Mandriva's download page is blank.  Can't even download it.

I'll be migrating from Windows XP 32-bit, to Windows 7 64-bit.  Not
Ubuntu, or any Linux.  Maybe next year.

Assuming I want to deal with more crap, please answer my question:  Which
should I install first, the updates, or the proprietary driver?

Thank-you, and good luck with your OS!

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses