motu-release process (was: Re: Sponsorship Queue Process)

Andrew SB a.starr.b at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 05:03:32 BST 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Stefan
Potyra<stefan.potyra at informatik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Friday 28 August 2009 16:34:27 schrieb Andrew SB:
> [..]
>>
>> Perhaps we should be using release targeting for cases where
>> motu-release is subscribed to existing bugs?
>>
>> Adding a Karmic task for the FFe would allow for the exception to be
>> rejected without invalidating the entire bug if the change wasn't
>> deemed as appropriate. This seems to be a logical extension of the SRU
>> policy.
>
> Hm... I've been thinking about this for some time. However unless I'm missing
> some launchpad magic here, it doesn't seem to fulfill these requirements:

Honestly, I didn't think about it all that deeply. ;-)

The idea just jumped out at me as it addresses the separate bug
statuses issue, but I didn't really consider the workflow question...

>> > Basically what I need from FFe bugs is a way to
>> > * see which FFe's are granted already (I don't regular look at these)
>> > * see which FFe's are still in my queue

Using the advanced search option, we can come up with something closer...

> Currently my worklist is
> <https://launchpad.net/~motu-release/+subscribedbugs>
> so I guess that would clutter it up with 2 bug entries (eventually 3 in case
> the bug in question is linked to debian as well).
> [side note: I know that it's possible to restrict this list to not show Debian
> bugs, but my brain doesn't memorize urls of that complexity.]
>
> Likewise,
> <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+nominations>
> doesn't seem to make a difference between universe and main. Hence I think
> that using nominations would not be beneficial, unless there's some cool LP
> URL I haven't found yet ;).

This seems to give you nominations only for universe and multiverse:

https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+nominations?field.searchtext=&field.component=4&field.component=3

Note that I removed a whole bunch of cruft from that url, and even as
it is it doesn't lend it self to being memorized.

I can't seem to come up with anything that works specifically for
subscribed bugs though, and as reporters seem to miss use release
nominations that list probably will contain a lot of noise. (in fact,
most of the stuff it currently shows must be noise)  The advanced
search has a field for "release target" (ie karmic-alpha-1, ect...)
but not "nominated for release."

How does motu-sru handle its workflow? Any pointers on using LP's
release nominations? Anything motu-release could learn from? Or is the
nomination feature just not all that helpful to the universe workflow?

Thanks,

Andrew