Ubuntu Software Store: What it does, and how you can help

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Sat Aug 29 13:56:43 BST 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 15:11:53 -0400
Martin Owens <doctormo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-08-28 at 11:07 +0100, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately the naming was one thing that had to be done within
> > Canonical, for boring legal reasons.
>
> This always upsets me. It's going on the "reasons to fork" chalk
> board, because I don't believe it's right to define something
> integral to the community identify like this inside of Canonical.
> Focus on your business guys, not on dictatorship.
>
> "You'll get what we give you and like it!"
>
> "Yes Father Canonical!"

Same old (boring) story...when you really want a "free, without any
sponsoring linux distribution, pay your CDs yourself, pay for every
single downloaded ISO Image, pay at least a part of the infrastructure
costs"...

..."You Don't want to, you can't? Oh well, let us earn the money then
to pay the fcking bills to provide you with free of charge
infrastructure, free CDs, marketing material, sponsorships to Summits
etc. pp."

Really, not even Debian is free from paying bills...mostly it's
sponsored by some Hardware Manufacturers like HP or other Companies.

The reason why anybodies blood start to boil right now, when they hear
"Ubuntu Software {Store,Shop,Market,Wholesale,Supermarket,etc.pp}" is
that Canonical right now is not making a big deal out of it. They tell
you "We will go and we will sell commercial software with this
tool"..that's more then transparent, and that's more then other
"sponsoring companies" are telling their community.

If you don't want to use it, don't use it...if you are not ok with some
decisions of the Sponsor or "paying some really cool devs" company,
just use another distro, or just ignore what they said, use your distro
of choice because it works, or just fork it and work on your own distro.

Sorry, my 2€Cent  it's really boring to read always about the same
issues, and it's always about "Why is Canonical doing this or that".

Regards,

\sh