Ubuntu Software Store: What it does, and how you can help

Loïc Martin loic.martin3 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 12:20:52 BST 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt at canonical.com>wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> At the Ubuntu Developer Summit in May, we discussed AppCenter -- the
> codename for a new interface for finding, installing, and removing
> software in Ubuntu.
>
> Now, AppCenter has a brand name: the Ubuntu Software Store.

Aside from the "Store" discussion, I'm more concerned about the "Software"
word - isn't it a word most people never seem to use or understand, while
they use apps or tools everyday? From what I can tell, the word isn't really
used nor understood by anybody than techies. It was probably in use 20 years
ago, but the "Ubuntu Software Store" isn't going to become the subject of a
papercut in a few months to change Software to a something that wouldn't
puzzle new users.

We all seem to be copying the App Store from Apple (nothing wrong with
that), but perhaps the part we should change isn't so much the first part in
"App Store", but the second one? After all, both provide the same goods
(Apps), while we'll be trying to differentiate on the experience (Store vs a
different word).

Loïc