en-US language presumption

Tollef Fog Heen tfheen at err.no
Sat Aug 29 09:55:14 BST 2009

]] Matthew East

| I personally think that using US English is a pretty reasonable
| approach to take. If we don't standardise on a particular language,
| then we'll need to create a US English translation team, and that team
| will need to scour all the application strings to see what language
| they are in, and translate them.

The alternative is for all developers who are not writing US English to
start doing so, and for some of us, that would mean learning a new
variant of a language which is not our native.  I'm not sure that's a
better use of resources than creating a US translation team.  I'd rather
spend my time coding or fixing bugs than learning US English because the
USAnians can't be bothered to translate text to their own
language/variant.

--
Tollef Fog Heen, whose native language is not en_*, and certainly not en_US