Missing crash reports for long-running processes

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 26 20:33:59 BST 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 09:04:57AM -0500, Ted Gould wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 08:37 +0100, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > Of course, this particular bug report would have been suppressed anyway, because the
> > package was out of date,
>
> If we're fixing issues with Apport, I think that's a bigger one.  I run
> Karmic, but I don't update everyday.  Probably once a week or two.  And
> basically if I get an Apport dialog I just close it as I know that my
> backtrace will probably get rejected as something inevitably changed.
>
> I do realized the impact of this and the amount of datacenter space it'd
> take to keep all the binaries.  But it's a source of frustration for me
> as it seems that Apport is only for people who update daily.

It is possible to override this check (which helps cut down on useless bug
reports), though I'm not sure how long we keep the necessary debug symbols
around (without which your crash report is not useful).  There are practical
constraints on how long these can be kept, as they're huge.

I'm not sure how long we keep them at the moment.

--
 - mdz