Transition Mysql 5.0 to 5.1 in main

Mathias Gug mathiaz at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 14 15:21:42 BST 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Mathias Gug<mathiaz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> The question is, do you intend to *only* transition the packages in main?
>> Because in unstable, there is no longer a libmysqlclient15-dev package that
>> points to libmysqlclient15off.
>>
>> And unless further changes to mysql-dfsg-5.0 are made prior to release, the
>> package will not be uploadable (e.g., for security fixes) because
>> libmysqlclient15-dev is superseded.
>
> Right. So the current plan is to drop the libmysqlclient15-dev
> package/provides from the mysql-dfsg-5.1 package that will be uploaded
> to karmic. The transition to libmysqlclient-dev will start in main and
> universe once the promotion is done. If the transition can be
> completed within the karmic time frame  we can always upload a
> mysql-dfsg-5.1 that provides a transitional libmysqlclient15-dev
> package.

I've been working on getting mysql-dfsg-5.1 ready for an upload to
main. However I'm running into a dist-upgrade bug:

mathiaz at t-mysql-up:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
  libmysqlclient16
  mysql-server
  mysql-common
1 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 2027kB of archives.
After this operation, 4502kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.

mathiaz at t-mysql-up:~$ sudo apt-get install mysql-server
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  update-motd libparted1.8-10
  libmysqlclient16 mysql-client-5.1 mysql-common mysql-server-5.1
  mysql-server-core-5.1
Suggested packages:
  tinyca
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  mysql-client-5.0 mysql-server-5.0 mysql-server-core-5.0
  libmysqlclient16 mysql-client-5.1 mysql-server-5.1 mysql-server-core-5.1
  mysql-common mysql-server
2 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 21.2MB of archives.
After this operation, 60.7MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

A simple dist-upgrade would keep mysql-server back whereas an install
of mysql-server would work successfully. The packages I plan to push
to karmic are available from my PPA [1]. Why is the mysql-server
package kept back on a dist-upgrade?

[1]: https://launchpad.net/~mathiaz/+archive/ppa

--
Mathias Gug