Transition Mysql 5.0 to 5.1 in main

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Wed Aug 5 17:41:19 BST 2009

Hi Mathias,

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 16:01:01 +0100
Mathias Gug <mathiaz at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi Stephan,
>
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Stephan Hermann<sh at sourcecode.de>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 14:52:38 +0100
> > Mathias Gug <mathiaz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >> The current workaround is to check if the cluster engine is used in
> >> the preinst script. If so the upgrade fails with a message
> >> suggesting to remove the mysql-server package (which is an empty
> >> package depending on mysql-server-5.0 for now - it will depend on
> >> mysql-server-5.1 once mysql is move to main). Mysql-server-5.0
> >> will be demoted to universe (in karmic) and we'll try to get rid
> >> of it in the next release (one blocker being the availability of
> >> mysql-cluster).
> >
> > Sounds reasonable...how do we check the usage of the mysql cluster
> > engine?
>
> In the mysql-server-5.1.preinst script:
>
> # Abort if an NDB cluster is in use.
> if egrep -q -r '^[^#]*ndb.connectstring' /etc/mysql/; then
>   db_fset mysql-server/no_upgrade_when_using_ndb seen false || true
>   db_input high mysql-server/no_upgrade_when_using_ndb || true
>   db_go
>   db_stop
>   exit 1
> fi

> Does the grep expression above cover all three use cases?

Nope :)

Ok, first it's not "ndb.connectstring" but "ndb-connectstring" for
storagenodes and sqlnodes. (oh well, hopefully I did
misunderstand the "." as "." and not as "any char" regexp)
Second, for management nodes, you don't have ndb-connectstring
(which belongs to my.cnf and which is the string where you setup your
mgmt node ;))
For that we should check:

[NDB_MGMD]

as group string. This only appears in /etc/mysql/ndb_mgmd.conf

Hope it helps :)

Regards,

\sh

--
| Stephan '\sh' Hermann    | OSS Dev / SysAdmin         |
| JID: sh at linux-server.org | http://www.sourcecode.de/  |