Transition Mysql 5.0 to 5.1 in main

Mathias Gug mathiaz at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 5 14:52:38 BST 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Stephan Hermann<sh at sourcecode.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 12:14:06 +0100
> Steve Langasek <steve.langasek at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> As already mentioned on IRC, mysql 5.1 doesn't provide mysql cluster
> anymore. The lack of mysql-cluster packages in debian (as promised to
> Norbert T. -> debian mysql maintainer, I'll work with him on that
> issue) could be a nogo for mysql 5.1 as default mysql server
> replacement.
>
> People who are using mysql cluster from 5.0 will have problems after an
> upgrade to karmic or even to the next LTS...

The current workaround is to check if the cluster engine is used in
the preinst script. If so the upgrade fails with a message suggesting
to remove the mysql-server package (which is an empty package
depending on mysql-server-5.0 for now - it will depend on
mysql-server-5.1 once mysql is move to main). Mysql-server-5.0 will be
demoted to universe (in karmic) and we'll try to get rid of it in the
next release (one blocker being the availability of mysql-cluster).

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer  http://www.ubuntu.com