Opinions: New user group checks for users-admin

Jonathan Davies jpds at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 15 11:21:50 BST 2009

Hey folks,

I wanted to ask your opinions on a bug in gnome-settings-tools which
renders system administration useless:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/236305

The problem is that there is no 'admin' user when the system is first
installed, however there is an 'admin' user group. Because of this if an
privileged user decides to come along and create a user named 'admin' -
g-s-t doesn't do the right checks and wipes the admin group in favour of
the new user.

Now, I think this is policy decision because we need to decide what
happens if a new user is created on a system where a group with the same
name already exists. The options as I see it are:

 * Bailing out with an error message (like adduser does).
 * Create the group with a different name.
 * Not create the group and thus not allocate the user as a member.

I personally support option one, because it's what adduser does. But
before I go and change anything, does anyone have any other
opinions/suggestions on what the application should do to prevent the
bug?

Cheers,
Jonathan