bug reports regarding users running out of disk space

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 04:02:06 BST 2009

On Friday 10 April 2009 8:36:55 pm Chris Cheney wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 15:05 -0400, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> > On Friday 10 April 2009 2:47:13 pm Chris Cheney wrote:
> > > I often get bug reports from users due to their systems running out of
> > > disk space such as this bug:
> >
> > IMO, we should default apt to not storing /var/cache/apt/archives forever.
> > There's an option in Software Sources to have it remove old packages.
Maybe
> > this could be an automatic thing after each upgrade in the future?
>
> Yes, that is a very good point as well though in many cases I have seen
> it is due to having a partition that is too small to begin with. Often
> the bugs are from users that are using USB sticks to install Ubuntu on.
> However, this last bug report was from a user who had a 2GB /usr
> partition.

I have a 10GB / and have run into it quite a lot on Jaunty what with those
300MB updates we get sometimes, I just don't submit the reports because I can
see quite clearly that I ran out of space (again) and then I go clean things
up manually.  Turns out texlive takes up quite a lot of disk space.  I also
never realized before that Ubuntu puts /tmp on disk.  Was that always the
case?  I thought it used to be a ramdisk.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo