assistance with ubuntu-docs bug

Jordan Mantha laserjock at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 2 18:01:48 BST 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 12:23 AM, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Steve Langasek
> <steve.langasek at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>> ma, 2009-03-30 kello 08:10 +0100, Matthew East kirjoitti:
<snip>
> This solution has been implemented in version 9.04.7 of ubuntu-docs
> (after a hiccup in version 9.04.6) and seems to have fixed the bug for
> most people.
>
> However, there is one bug that has arisen out of it for users who had
> edubuntu-docs installed, because edubuntu-docs ships a couple of files
> in the directory /usr/share/gnome/help/libs. I hadn't been aware of
> this previously.

Back in the day the libs/ was shared in VCS so it made sense to share on disk.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+bug/353288
>
> For those users, dpkg doesn't seem to want to remove the directory
> because it isn't empty, and the package upgrade therefore fails.

You could always rm -rf ;-) but I think we can get a more elegant solution.

> I think edubuntu-docs needs to be amended somehow, probably so that it
> also uses the symlink and ships those files in the directory
> /usr/share/ubuntu-docs/libs instead. But I'd appreciate some advice
> about the best way to deal with this bug.

It's entirely likely that edubuntu-docs could work without those files
as they were primarily for a doc we aren't shipping anymore, or have
them more local to the document (I think About Edubuntu is basically
the only thing we're shipping) if they are used. In any case, I'll
upload a fixed edubuntu-docs.

-Jordan