ubuntu-core-dev PPA?

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 19 16:22:25 BST 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 11:05:43AM +0200, Stefan Potyra wrote:
> On Thursday 18 September 2008 21:40:45 Colin Watson wrote:
> > In a discussion about the eternal conflict between stabilising the
> > archive for milestones and allowing developers to get their work done
> > (particularly new GNOME releases, which put a lot of pressure on
> > Sebastien when the archive is frozen), Sebastien mentioned that it would
> > be useful if there were somewhere that everyone could upload to rather
> > than the main archive during freezes, which we could then blat into the
> > main archive en masse at the end.
> >
> > Since this is mostly only an issue for main/restricted, at least for
> > milestone freezes, I suggested an ubuntu-core-dev PPA. What do people
> > think of this? We could make it standard practice that during milestone
> > freezes you can carry on doing normal uploads to the ubuntu-core-dev
> > PPA, and only upload to the main archive for milestone-critical
> > problems. At the end of the freeze we could automatically copy all the
> > source packages over to the main archive and have them rebuilt (or even
> > just copy the binaries if we're sure).
>
> Why not just use intrepid-proposed for that purpose?

That already has the semantics of proposed post-release uploads attached
to it, and there are some associated things that are enforced in
Launchpad which would be inconvenient here. Most noticeably, uploads to
intrepid-proposed always require manual approval by an archive
administrator before being published, which would be most inconvenient
here, but there are probably other things I've forgotten about.

I'd rather not overload intrepid-proposed for multiple purposes.