performance tests conducted on 7.04, 7.10, 8.04, 8.10rc

Dan Munckton lists at munckfish.net
Mon Oct 27 13:35:44 GMT 2008

Hi folks

While we're on the topic of performance, when I first upgraded to Hardy
I certainly felt that something had degraded somewhere
performance-wise.

For the first time in years of Ubuntu use (and with the same machine) I
found myself waiting for a temporarily hung Nautilus (shivers at
reminder of Windows days), and experienced my music cutting out
occasionally when some other process did something processor or IO
intensive. I never experienced these problems before, at least not quite
as obviously.

I've not done any background on this though, it's just my perception.
Has anyone else noticed these sorts of things?

Cheers

Dan