Desktop Team meeting, 2008-10-16

Scott James Remnant scott at canonical.com
Thu Oct 16 14:39:08 BST 2008

For minutes of previous meetings, please see DesktopTeam/Meeting.

== Present ==

 * Scott James Remnant (Keybuk) - chair
 * Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)
 * Kenneth Wimer (kwwii)
 * Martin Pitt (pitti)
 * Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt)
 * Michael Vogt (mvo)
 * Sebastien Bacher (seb128)

 * Ted Gould (tedg)

== Agenda ==

 * Outstanding actions from last meeting
 * (kwwii) Status of splitting of gnome-themes package
 * [[http://people.ubuntu.com/~dholbach/sponsoring/|Sponsoring Overview update]]
 * Release Status
 * Review activity reports
 * Any other business

== Status of splitting of gnome-themes package ==

kwwii asked about the status of splitting the gnome-themes packages, however since we are now in final release freeze, this kind of change is simply too invasive and will be deferred to jaunty.

== Activity reports ==

=== Jonathan Riddell (Riddell) ===

 * generally lots of bug fixing before release
 * continual poking and discussion about why language packs are still totally incomplete
 * commit our plasma improved logout patch upstream
 * fix samba support in kio-smb
 * add back KDE 3's mediamanager needed for easy music player support in Amarok
 * Various fixes to install-package and language-selector
 * Checking and uploading patches to Adept
 * Fixing casper for kubuntu documentation
 * half day archive admin
 * fix taskjuggler compile
 * Various discussions on the bluetooth problem, no resolution

todo:
 * RC
 * keep poking people until complete language packs appear

no milestoned bugs

=== Kenneth Wimer (kwwii) ===

 * gconf settings for panel bg fix (finding which keys to set, etc)...now finished and in intrepid human-theme package. going to learn more about how to put these gconf changes directly into a theme

 * rounded ff gtk discussion: we changed gtkrc's, talked about patch with asac...now we found out that the patch will not go in until 3.01, reverted everything in gtkrc

 * wallpapers, themes, etc. all in intrepid now

 * renamed NewHuman to DarkRoom, edited theme to have more contrast in the tabs, darker more saturated colors  #275271

 * little green man...figuring out what to do about this

 * made branding svg for kubuntu

=== Martin Pitt (pitti) ===

Assigned Intrepid specs: all implemented

Currently open intrepid targeted bugs: all killed ATM

Other non-chores work done:
 * Lots of RC and other bug fixing
 * gphoto digicam handling is finally fixed for good now

Sponsoring:
 * cut quite a dent into the queue and processed everything which I can reasonably judge and shouldn't be postponed
 * abiword, curl, gdm, g-p-m, gnome-terminal, gzip, libexif (intrepid/hardy), nis, nvidia-graphics-drivers-17{3,7}, nvidia-settings, pm-utils, tracker, ubuntu-docs, ubuntu-wallpapers, ubuntu-artwork, human-theme

=== Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt) ===

(This is for the past two weeks, since I wasn't at last week's meeting.)

 * Various internal Canonical stuff, and Launchpad design feedback.
 * Polished fglrx upgrade text for Michael Vogt. <http://paste.ubuntu.com/50556/>
 * Several discussions with Ted Gould about handling upgrades to the new status menu.
 * With Evan Dandrea, discussed renaming the live CD the Test Drive CD. <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/live-cd-and-persistence>
 * 2008-10-06 ~ 2008-10-10: Attended Gnome User Experience Hackfest. Many ideas are now published on the Gnome wiki. <http://live.gnome.org/Boston2008/GUIHackfest>
 * 2008-10-11 ~ 2008-10-13: Attended Gnome Boston Summit. Had good discussions about accessibility options, and presenting system settings in general.

=== Michael Vogt (mvo) ===

Milestoned Bugs (with intrepid task):
 * #278112 - Screensaver does not start with compiz
 * #19021 - should run dpkg --configure -a automatically

Milestoned bugs (targets of opportunity for me):
 * #267749 - libflashsupport removal in u-m
 * #276606 - maintainer script failure in rkhunter (universe)
 * #277301 - maintainer script failure in djvulibre (universe)
 * #283155 - bug in pythons urllib, not easy to trigger, might need a workaround

Upgrades:
 * Add quirks handler for kdelibs4-dev to kdelibs5-dev (#279621)
 * work on debian-cd to make small adjustments for the "we have no uncompressed packages files anymore" case
 * fix hang in partial upgrades mode (on cleanup)
 * add code to the xorg_fix_intrepid script to remove input devices after the xserver 1.5 upgrade (hal is used now) and add apport suppotr
 * fix race between apt.cron.daily and the release upgrader
 * merge the aptcdrom update-manager branch that can deal with missing uncompressed Packages files on the CD
 * revert fglrx->ati transition now that we have fglrx
 * fix crash with gconf and kde tempfile handling
 * fix crash when etckeeper was used in large installations (sigpipe issue)
 * Upgrade testing

compiz:
 * 0.7.8 upload into intrepid
 * work on the compiz crash #145360, no progress, upstream
 * Debug/fix gnome-control-center appearance issue (#275744) with update compiz/plugins-main/plugins-extra
 * Fix broken scalefilter compiz module (plugins-extra)
 * debug/discuss focus handling problem with upstream and merge fix into wall plugin

desktop:
 * write fusa-migration script and fusa-migration note and add it to the gnome-panel package
 * the gstreamer sync from last week expect a different name for the codec search app (gstreamer-codec-search), update the code
 * Update gnome-app-install to have alternative
 * Gnome-app-install bug triage, fix crashes/bugs
 * Debug/fix quoting problem in update-notifier apt-cdrom-check

misc:
 * Hack on debconf to remove the "cancel" and "close" buttons in the gtk frontend and sent the patch upstream
 * sponsoring (gnome-control-center, smart, unattended-upgrades, ...)
 * test new fglrx driver
 * try to get updated translations from rosetta for update-manager, but all I get is 404

=== Sebastien Bacher (seb128) ===

 * lot of desktop bug work for intrepid

 * some desktop updates

 * sponsoring, cairo, gnome-control-center, f-spot, file-roller, libxml++

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott at canonical.com