Ubuntu irssi 0.8.12-4ubuntu2

Gerfried Fuchs rhonda at deb.at
Mon Oct 13 10:56:10 BST 2008

* Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> [2008-10-13 11:07:33 CEST]:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 04:15:27PM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> >>  Thanks for the (indirect because of my Debian PTS derivates
> >> subscription - direct would had been much more appreciated) notification
> >> about this router bug:
> >
> > I haven't seen a response on ubuntu-devel yet, so I'm CCing the person who
> > actually uploaded this change (does this information not make it to the
> > PTS?) for comment.
>
> You can also see some discussion here:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-irc/2008-October/thread.html

 Thanks. Some questions raised by those responses:

 Shouldn't it be in the interest of the users to list affected routers
and firmware update links, to address the real problem, and not just
tell them how to work around it?

 Terrence says that it would "be impossible to collect a list of every
IRC network and all the alternate ports". Even if that's impossible it
shouldn't be the reason to leave out the informations for the bigger
networks that are readily available. The patch to irssi looks pretty
much rushed in to me, to be honest ...

 OFTC offers 7000 as alternative port, most of undernet.org servers do
so, too. No idea if those ports might not also be affected - but that
goes back to the first question, about not having informations of what
really is affected. Where does this information originate in? Crosslinks
to other informations on the topic?

 If Aaron and Terrence claim that it's not a client issue I'd like to
repeat my question: Why is Colloquy listed on the page?

 And ... I'm not totally happy that the irssi snippet contains
instructions on how to hand-edit the config. Especially since it doesn't
note that a , at the end would be needed in either the added line or
after the previously (formerly) last {} entry. Someone using the ubuntu
patched package should come up with a /server command instead, it's much
less troublesome, otherwise users might easily end up with an invalid
config file and not being able to connect, at all.

 Thanks. :)
Rhonda