Installing Flash as an option in usb-creator

Evan Dandrea evand at ubuntu.com
Sun Oct 12 22:09:09 BST 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 7:12 AM, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I can understand the desire to have some ability to customize the live image
> from usb-creator.  Distribution terms should not be at issue here, because
> usb-creator isn't distributing software, just helping the user to create a
> file (right?).

Correct, and a fair point.

> Is the issue that it refers specifically to Flash?  Would you object to a
> list box which allowed the user to select additional packages from universe
> or multiverse to add to the image?

After reading what you said above and giving this more thought, I
don't object to it specifically referring to Flash.  I think we can
treat users like adults and let them make their own decisions as to
what software they want to include in the image, regardless of
license.  This assuming doing so does not violate our legal
obligations, which you have said it does not.

That said, it seems like just including a Flash checkbox seems
limiting and including a list box that lets them select from all of
universe and multiverse isn't helpful unless you know the name of the
package that provides the functionality that you're after.  So perhaps
the best UI here would be a specific list of commonly requested
additions from universe and multiverse, with items labeled as "Flash
support", "Multimedia codecs", and so on?

> We should maintain some separation between the policies for official Ubuntu
> images, and what downstream users are allowed/enabled to do with Ubuntu.
> There exist derivatives of Ubuntu whose main purpose is to add on
> software which isn't appropriate for Ubuntu itself, and this is perfectly
> fine.

Noted.