gspca webcams (video4linux)

Kees Cook kees at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 9 18:30:19 BST 2008

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 03:27:53PM +0100, James Westby wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 22:40 -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 10:33:02AM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> > > Anyone using applications with these webcams will need to use the
> > > PRELOAD stuff[4] to make them work again.  So, in addition to libv4l,
> > > would it be possible to get the gstreamer patches needed to support
> > > this?
> >
> > Based on Gregor Jasny's Debian version of libv4l, I've re-worked the
> > package sources a bit and put them up for anyone to look through.
> > Hopefully some version of this can get in soon.  :)
>
> I've just reviewed this, and it looks good to me, no complaints.

Cool, great.  I've incorporated[1] some more changes suggested by
slangasek, and some by the upstream Debian maintainer.  The package
continues to develop in Debian[2].

[1] https://edge.launchpad.net/~kees/+archive  (building shortly...)

> I think this is ready for upload for review in the NEW queue.

I'd like to wait over the weekend just to shake out any other changes;
I'd prefer to be in sync with Debian.

> What would be the next step after that? MIR? Do you have a list
> of the applications that would need to be modified to take advantage
> of it to avoid having to resort to LD_PRELOAD?

MIR yes, and then we need to find the various patches -- most critically
those for GStreamer.  I think Pete Graner has those links; I haven't
gone hunting for them yet.

-Kees

--
Kees Cook