gspca webcams (video4linux)

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Thu Oct 9 15:37:57 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 15:27 +0100, James Westby wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 22:40 -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 10:33:02AM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> > > Anyone using applications with these webcams will need to use the
> > > PRELOAD stuff[4] to make them work again.  So, in addition to libv4l,
> > > would it be possible to get the gstreamer patches needed to support
> > > this?
> >
> > Based on Gregor Jasny's Debian version of libv4l, I've re-worked the
> > package sources a bit and put them up for anyone to look through.
> > Hopefully some version of this can get in soon.  :)
>
> Hi Kees,
>
> I've just reviewed this, and it looks good to me, no complaints.
>
> I unfortunately don't have hardware to review it. Also, I'm on
> i386, so I can't test installability of the amd64 packages,
> but I don't anticipate a problem there.
>
> I think this is ready for upload for review in the NEW queue.
>
> What would be the next step after that? MIR? Do you have a list
> of the applications that would need to be modified to take advantage
> of it to avoid having to resort to LD_PRELOAD?

I was assuming the release team would be happy with pursuing this.
It could be quite a serious regression from Hardy, but I think more
information about the scope of the changes is needed before they
can make a decision.

However, there is little time to gather this and make a decision,
and then still get it all done.

Also, finding testers would be important. I can't do this, so I
would be doing any work blind, so to speak, and good testing feedback
would be important to the release team as well.

Thanks,

James