/etc/motd template

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 27 12:07:23 GMT 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Dustin Kirkland <kirkland at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I'm curious if the "free software" and "no warranty" paragraphs are
> still necessary/useful?  Do they belong in the MOTD, printed *every*
> time a user logs onto a system on the command line?

I don't think the "no warranty" paragraph is either necessary or
useful. In fact, it's always had a negative effect on me, especially
the use of capital letters.

As for the "free software" paragraph, It's quite nice to tell users
that Ubuntu is free software, but we do that on our website already
and in various other places. Those logging in to Ubuntu on the command
line already know it. It's not really helpful to tell ordinary users
who are just logging in what the distribution terms of the software
are, because logging in has nothing to do with distributing the
software.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org