Developer News

Emmet Hikory persia at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 23 07:25:24 GMT 2008

Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 02:45:54PM +0100, Morten Kjeldgaard wrote:
>> I would like to add a 3. proposal: a blog. A blog has many qualities
>> which are orthogonal to those of the wiki and mailing lists.
>
> I'd underscore this.  Often one wishes to include screenshots or photos,
> which can be tricky on a wiki, and not really feasible on a list.
>
> However, if considering a blog, wouldn't a planet be more appropriate,
> so developers could post using their normal blogging software and a
> 'ubuntu-devel' category or some such?

    If we're thinking about a blog-like architecture for news of
interest to developers, why not use the fridge?  If there's too much
traffic on the fridge, having a special "Development" category doesn't
seem insurmountable.

    That said, I like the concept of Developer News for quite a
different reason: there's lots of little stuff that isn't worth sending
out to everyone on a regular basis, and collecting it into sensibly
sized chunks of stuff on a weekly, monthly, or sporadic basis seems a
nice way to package it so that we can all keep track of what is
happening.  This requires a level of editorial overhead (when does it
get sent?  Does it make sense?  Did something else happen that is
critical to include, or affects one of the statements?) beyond just
hooking developers blog clients into some feed.

--
Emmet HIKORY